Confidence is the key to Whites’ win at Corby

Lincoln United made it two league wins on the spin following a confident 3-2 win over promotion-chasing Corby Town thanks to a magnificent team effort.

Goals from striker Matt Cotton, skipper Phil Watt and substitute Jack Whightwick secured a well-deserved victory despite a late fightback from Corby.

Sam Wilkinson’s men lined up in a 3-5-2 formation with Cotton in midfield for the suspended Andy Toyne and Paul Grimes partnering Jack McGovern up front.

United started the game in lively fashion putting the hosts’ defence under severe pressure.

Corby eventually woke up but keeper Phil McGann produced two great saves to keep the scoreline at 0-0.

After 18 minutes Matt Cotton seized on a poor clearance to volley home from 20 yards.

Two minutes’ later captain Phil Watt ghosted into the Corby box to double his side’s lead.

Corby went close from a corner when Paul Malone’s header looped on to the bar in the 25th minute.

Five minutes before the break, Grimes was sent tumbling in the box but despite the claims for a penalty, the referee waved play on, much to the relief of the home crowd.

The visitors took a deserved their 2-0 lead into half-time following a display that combined confidence with hard graft.

Corby re-entered the fray after the break in fighting mood and it took a superb reaction save from McGann to maintain the status quo.

United held off the early second-half pressure and should have increased their lead when McGovern blasted over from six yards after great work by Cotton.

The outstanding Cotton then put Matthews through whose left foot screamer rattled the Corby bar.

In what was becoming an increasingly feisty affair, Corby were awarded a penalty on 75 minutes after Blunden handled in the box.

Corby substitute Sam Mulready could only watch in despair as his spot-kick was saved by a flying Phil McGann, diving to his left.

Jack McGovern was replaced by Jack Whightwick five minutes from time.

The speedy sub wasted no time increasing the lead when he pounced on a poor back pass and skipped by the Corby keeper before slotting the ball home.

By this time the home crowd were becoming restless and their team reacted with two goals in time added-on.

However, at the final whistle it was Lincoln United who took the spoils with a performance that smacked of quality and confidence.

Keeper Phil McGann and Matt Cotton were the pick of the bunch although victory came through true grit and determination.

Peter Hayward

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.