Lincoln United’s injury woes continued yesterday after Phil Watt was stretchered off with a leg injury as his team suffered a 3-0 defeat at Stamford.

Skipper Watt had just returned from the treatment table and his further absence will be a big blow to the club.

There was some good news however, as Luke Hornsey returned at right back after a hamstring problem.

New signing Charlie Ward made his debut following his recent signing from Deeping Rangers.

The Whites started brightly enough with Jack Wightwick providing the first scare for Stamford with a dangerous cross which was cleared for a corner after five minutes.

The hosts hit back immediately with an effort that just cleared the visitors’ bar.

After 10 minutes, Jack McGovern hit a delightful curling strike from the left which hit the Stamford bar.

This was followed by a Wightwick solo run which ended with a shot that went inches wide.

At the other end, keeper Sam Vince pulled off a magnificent save when a goal seemed certain.

Debut boy, Charlie Ward was then shown a yellow card for hacking down Ben George.

Both defences looked cagey and the crowd could sense a goal coming.

It looked like Sam Wilkinson’s men would open the scoring but chances went begging for Robinson and Oliver.

However it was Stamford who took the lead following a moment’s hesitation in the Whites’ defence which allowed Tomlinson to make it 1-0 for the Daniels.

Shortly afterwards, Watt collided with the post and had to be carried off the pitch. Callum Foster came on as replacement.

On the hour, Stamford doubled their lead when dangerman Pearson Mwanyongo skipped through the defence and hit a left footer that gave Vince no chance.

Matt Cotton and Harry Millard were sent on to try and galvanise United but things went from bad to worse when Sam Vince was sent off for bringing down an opponent who was in on goal.

Jack McGovern took over as stopper but could do nothing about the resulting penalty.

In the end, Stamford won comfortably. The result leaves the Whites fifteenth in the table following two successive league defeats.

On Tuesday, they travel to Grantham in a League Cup fixture that will hopefully see a return to better things.

Peter Hayward

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.