Lincoln United equalised in the final minute of normal time to ensure last night’s Integro League Cup clash against Corby Town at the Sun Hat Villas went to penalties which Sam Wilkinson’s men won 6-5.

The Whites were losing 4-3 before substitute Matt Cotton rammed home the equaliser to make it 4-4 at the final whistle.

Kallum Smith struck the winning spot kick in the penalty shoot-out to ensure United marched on and set up a tie with local rivals Grantham Town in the second round.

In a changed line-up after Saturday’s 1-0 defeat to Redditch United in the FA Cup, Danny Brooks returned as captain with 18-year-old Callum Foster making his full debut at the back in place of the injured Phil Watt.

First team regulars Rob Norris, Andy Toyne and Matt Cotton were on the bench.

The Ashby Avenue outfit opened their account when Danny Brooks’ 25 yard free kick was deflected off the wall to hit the Corby net.

Five minutes later Sean Cann broke clear but blasted over from edge of the box.

For the first 20 minutes, United had the opposition rattled with Jack Wightwick’s clever chip being cleared off the line and a Kallum Smith effort bringing out the best in Corby’s keeper, Paul Bastock.

The Steelmen launched their first serious attack on goal after 25 minutes when defender Paul Malone headed over from a corner.

The opposition gradually worked their way back into the game and after half an hour grabbed the equaliser when Steven Leslie swept the ball past Phil McGann.

The crowd were treated to an end-to-end spectacle and a through ball from Whites’ full back Luke Hornsey found Sean Cann whose immaculate lob made it 2-1 for the hosts.

Two minutes before the break it was that man Leslie again who lashed the ball into the United net to make it 2-2.

On half-time, the ever-dangerous Cann was up-ended in the box which left skipper Danny Brooks to smash home the resulting penalty.

Corby hit back after half-time when Jordan Crawford saw his volley go in off the post to make it 3-3.

Boss Sam Wilkinson then sent on the big guns in the form of Toyne, Norris and Cotton and although they helped their team regain the momentum, Corby took the lead when a handball by James Blunden in the box gave Corby striker Steven Leslie the chance to bag his third which he duly did from the penalty spot.

In the final minute of added-on time, Matt Cotton rescued his side with an equaliser to take the tie to penalties.

Corby’s Jamie Anton missed his side’s sixth spot kick which left Kallum Smith the chance to win the encounter.

The Whites’ frontman made no mistake and his team now march on into the next round.

Man of the Match: Callum Foster

Peter Hayward

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.