Clinical Whites Hammer Nailers 4-1

Lincoln United ran riot at Belper Town in last night’s FA Cup replay producing a performance that gave the opposition little chance of striking back.

Conner Robinson struck two goals to restore his confidence in the penalty area. Fellow front-man Ryan Oliver glanced home a header on his first full debut and the ever-dangerous Matt Cotton started the spree with a 10th minute opener.

With skipper Phil Watt unavailable, Callum Ward partnered James Lumsden in central defence giving Scott Matthews the opportunity to start at left back making the average age of the back four only 22.

The Whites signalled their intent from the off as Luke Hornsey, making one of what was to be many forays down the right, forced the Belper keepr to turn his shot on to the post.

After five minutes, Ryan Oliver found himself in oceans of space but his strike flashed across the opposition goal.

The breakthrough came on 10 minutes when good work on the left between Wightwick and Robinson left Cotton free to force the ball home at the far post.

Sam Wilkinson’s men began to dictate the pattern of play and Conner Robinson made it two after 17 minutes to rattle the home side.

However, Belper fought back and scored after 20 minutes following a direct run from Matt Harris.

The game developed into a more even match as Belper shaded the rest of the first half.

Sam Wilkinson’s half-time talk proved effective as his team sprang out of the traps and began to attack the Nailers.

Andy Toyne was brought down by a late tackle on 57 minutes and the resulting free kick by Wightwick was glanced home by Ryan Oliver to give him his first goal for United.

Whites’ keeper Jake Turner was then called into action to pull off an excellent save but was hardly troubled all night.

The Ashby Avenue outfit continued to dominate with Toyne and Norris the main architects of some thrilling attacking play.

Five minutes before full-time Conner Robinson beat his marker to find himself one-on-one with the Belper keeper.

The former Lincoln ace finished with aplomb to give him his second and to make the final score 4-1.

The difference between Saturday’s goal-less draw and this performance was that United were able to finish off the many chances they created.

They now face higher-league Redditch at the Sun Hat Villas on 2nd September in the First Round Qualifying of the world’s oldest cup competition.

Peter Hayward

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.