Any Lincoln City fan will tell you that the style of play at Sincil Bank has changed dramatically under the management of Danny Cowley and his brother Nicky.
After watching the annihilation of Gateshead yesterday I can now look back and reflect why the Imps have shot up to third place in the National League having won their last three games.
Here is my list of what is making Lincoln City tick this season:
- They start each half at break-neck speed. Look at how many goals have been scored early on.
- Paul Farman’s right boot is Lethal Weapon Two. Not only does he rocket the ball well into the opposition half, he usually finds big Matt Rhead up front who then proceeds to set up the attack.
- Alex Woodyard is the instigator of most attacks. He is quick, intelligent and possesses an excellent engine. In my view THE key player in the team.
- Speed of attack. Danny doesn’t want his players dawdling on the ball. Defenders feed midfielders who then push forward and attack. It’s entertaining to watch.
- Hard work. Each player chases down his opposite number and makes it impossible for them to settle on the ball.
Those were my observations from yesterday’s game. I am sure there is more to come especially the way Danny is developing his players to play two-touch football on the break.
It’s a joy to watch.
Every single one of the home supporters left the ground yesterday with a broad smile on their face.